Wednesday, July 3, 2013

First Day of School

Hey y'all,

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. It's been pretty busy and I just haven't gotten around to it.  
I've noticed a few things in the past few days. 
1. I don't enjoy this time difference. It stinks when I'm up and want to share something funny or frustrating or completely insignificant with someone back in the States and I can't (really just a lack of immediacy in the response... I know...rough life!)
2. None of my run trackers (yes, none because I do have more than one) work over here.  Apparently the GPS on those apps wasn't set for Taiwan. 
3. Wardrobe wise, I love it here! I could wear a tshirt to school everyday if I felt so inclined and you CAN'T wear shoes inside (unless you buy shoes specifically to keep inside). Best Life Ever!
4. Everyone is so nice! I smile at people and they always smile back.  I say "ni hoa" and they always say it back. Then they normally try to talk to me in Chinese and that's where the conversation stops. 
5. I won't want to use cars when I come back home. We go everyone on foot, on bikes, or on scooters and it's wonderful. Scooters are so much fun and even though I won't be here much longer, I'm probably going to get lessons from one of the teachers here soon. That should be a fun story!
6. The play American music all the time! 

The last two days were prep days and were good, but I'm subbing this month for one of the teachers who went back home so it was all pretty planned out. This led to a very bored me. When the school year is starting and you only have 8 (yes, only 8. How great is that!!) kids, there isn't much to do.  And I don't function well on nit enough to do as most of you know. It's ok though, I survived!

Today was the first day of school and it was great! I am teaching New Chung Ban (4-5 year olds) and  my kids are adorable. Some of them speak a little English but others don't know any. They did all pick up on the high five today though! Success! One of them even decided to take it a step further and use her head.  It was great!

Overall, I love it here. I'm surrounded by great people (foreign and local) and I love experiencing all the new things(especially the food).  I won't forgot about home though and fully intend to wear my red, white, and blue tie dye shirt tomorrow!

That's all for now!
Love, Jodi

No comments:

Post a Comment